Mandy’s Macaroni and Cheese
Every woman brings her strengths and weaknesses to the Mom-table. I think my strengths are humor and chocolate. 😉 One of my weaknesses was (is) cooking. I’ve improved quite a bit since the Bear was born, but when Baybay joined us I had to step it up a notch again. I am still flabbergasted that I prepare 3 meals and snacks for 4 (sometimes 5) people EVERY day. Including weekends and holidays. I know women having been doing it since the dawn of time, but it’s a really big job. And sometimes, I mess up. I forget I need to feed my family and I don’t have the groceries that I need when it is 4:30 on a Sunday and everyone is starting to get hungry. And sometimes, I just don’t want to think about cooking and go to the store. This was the case this past Sunday. But we had to eat so I came up with a my own version of macaroni and cheese using what I had around the house and it turned out great! It’s a cheesy alfredo sauce. Here’s what I found in the fridge and pantry. (I bought the noodles on sale a while back- before the Barilla ordeal.)
1 box elbow noodles
2 cups whole milk (I think if I used 2%, 1%, or skim it be too runny)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese (as you can see I used reduced fat)
1 cup shredded cheese
Salt and pepper optional
1. Boil some water and prepare the noodles according to the directions on the box.
2. In the mean time, whisk milk, butter and Parmesan cheese in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until smooth.
3. Whisk in the shredded cheese.
4. Continue whisking over heat until the cheese has melted. You will need to keep whisking to prevent it from burning on the bottom of the pot.
5. Once the cheese has melted, remove the sauce from the heat. Let it stand for about 3-5 minutes to thicken.
6. Pour it over the noodles (after you’ve drained them, of course) and you’ve got Mandy’s Macaroni!
The whole process took about 15 minutes. Quick and yummy!
I think this would be delicious with some peas and chicken. What would you add?